Subject: Documentation for get_brasseur_bins.pro

From: Barry Knapp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:57:58 -0700

Ben,

Here is documentation for the procedure get_brasseur_bins.pro, which
will retrieve the SOLSTICE UV spectrum in Guy Brasseur's varying-sized
bins.

The procedure is located in our "science analysis" library directory,
which is designated by the environment variable $sa_idllib, and which
includes the subdirectories of that directory.  It uses a number of
subsidiary procedures in this directory tree, and also in our "science
products" idl library path, whose root is $sp_idllib.  We have a new
simplified scheme to add these paths to your $IDL_PATH, which is to
add the following to your .cshrc file:

# Add SOLSTICE Products and Analysis environments
source /aldebaran/proj/uars_solstice/solstice_lib.csh

In the past, we have requested SOLSTICE data users to explicitly add
+/aldebaran/proj/solstice to their IDL_PATH.  If you have done so in your
.cshrc, you should now remove this, and simply source solstice_lib.csh
as shown above.  It defines $sa_idllib and $sp_idllib, and looks to see
if these are already in your IDL_PATH, and if either is not, it is
appended to the end.  This new method gives us the freedom to move these
libaries around without your having to modify your .cshrc file each time
we do.

The procedure get_brasseur_bins.pro returns the integrated SOLSTICE UV
irradiance for a given UARS day in Brasseur's bins, in photons/s/cm^2.
(This is the only physical unit available, since the irradiance must be
in photons/s/cm^2/nm in order to integrate it.)  If you type the name
of the procedure at the IDL> prompt, without any parameters, you will
get a brief usage summary.  There is one optional input keyword parameter,
distance_flag=d_flag, to indicate whether you want flux returned normal-
ized to a solar distance of 1 A.U. (distance_flag='1_AU', the default),
or at the true Earth distance of date (distance_flag='uncorrected').
The latter might be required if the TGCM model does not adjust input
solar fluxes for the earth's distance from the sun (the annual variation
due to the Earth's eliptical orbit is 6 or 7 percent).  The output
parameter is a structure containing the bin wavelengths and integrated
irradiances.  Do a help,/str,bins command at the IDL> prompt after
get_brasseur_bins has returned to see this structure.

The procedure get_brasseur_bins.pro is supported by Barry Knapp.  This
document is saved in the file $sa_idllib/level3/get_brasseur_bins.doc.

Barry