Subject: figures for Phase III document

From: Jeffrey Forbes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:26:34 -0600 (MDT)

Ray, Maura, Art, Ben, and Gang ...

   I am in the final stages of putting together the CEDAR Phase III 
document.  I am not satisfied with the current representation of
the TIME GCM.  I am seeking your help to offer possible alternatives,
since in one sense I am trying to portray in the document the
activities and contributions of the HAO TISO group.

   Presently, I have attempted to include a TIME-GCM result on
the first page of the "coupling to lower altitudes" section.  I have
a full column available on a 3-column page.  I tried to use some
latitude vs. longitude plots of temperature at 120 km where the
TIME GCM was linked with CCM3 -- a sequence of 3 plots on consecutive
days to illustrate day-to-day variability induced by the lower
atmosphere.  These plots originated as color figures which Ben
provided me.  I had them shot onto slides, and then scanned onto
a photo CD.  This is a black & white page in the document (actually,
we can handle tones of blue on the "BW" pages also).  I am
not satisfied with what resulted  due in part to the loss of
resolution (especially with the print) resulting from the
above procedure to get the figure into a digital form that my
graphics design person can read in Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator
, and also perhaps that I tried to make a mono color (shades of
blue) figure from a color figure.

  First of all, what I really need are Postscript files for the
figures.  This allows us to modify fonts, etc., and optimize the
figure.

  I am seeking possible suggestions from you for the following:

1. I have 1 full column available on the first page of the
"coupling to lower altitudes" section.  It would be nice to have a
figure or sequence of figures here that depicted the TIME-GCM's
current or potential future contribution to this science area 
-- perhaps related to coupling to the CCM3.

2.  I have a full color page that I have been very indecisive about
filling.  It is the last page in the document facing the inside
back cover.  The inside back cover is filled with a table of 
information on all CEDAR post-doc awardees.   This full color
page could potentially be a full-page color layout of a spectrum
of TIME-GCM results --- maybe 3-4 figures with fairly brief 
captions, and a short paragraph somewhere on the page describing
briefly the TIME-GCM , its current and potential capabilities and
contributions to CEDAR ,  blah, blah blah. Maybe the 3-4 figures
could depict samples of the contributions of the TIME GCM to
each of the 4 science initiatives --

coupling to lower altitudes
polar aeronomy
long-term variations
solar -terrestrial interactions ????????????

  I am hoping that you might be able to pull some existing figures
out of your files and quickly suggest something neat.

  I will send in a copy of the existing draft of the Phase III document
tomorrow with Maura so you can get a better sense of how things look.

  Sorry to barge in at you at the last moment, but I only recently
realized the difficulty with the figures that I have, and I only
just now had the brainstorm on the full-page TIME GCM layout.
You will see that this would be a nice complementary page to page
4 of the current draft, which is a full color page showing observational
results pertaining to each of the 4 science initiatives.  This
could be a model for a TIME GCM layout.

  Thanks in advance for your ideas and help !

  Jeff