Subject: grey-scale figures

From: Jeffrey Forbes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:46:13 -0600 (MDT)

Ben, the following message refers to my graphics art person's
(hereafter known as "Phil") latest attempt to get one of your files
(renamed by me to be T116.ps) to convert to grey scale.

  Do you create these figures with IDL ?  I understand there is 
an option in IDL to disable color.  Could you give this a try to
create grey-scale versions ?   

   I will look at the cgm and ps files you pointed me to today.

Jeff
>From [email-masked] Tue Apr 29 18:42 MDT 1997
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:42:13 -0400 (EDT)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: T114-116 files are color?
Content-Length: 1914

Jeff:
In a message dated 4/29/97 8:46:50 AM, you wrote:
>OK, I'll get you some new files to replace those.  I guess
>you publication industry folk ought to get up to speed with the
>software/hardware to handle today's file types in use by most of
>the engineering and science discipline (chuckle). jmf

  Thanks, I'll look forward to the replacement files, in b/w or grayscale. As
an option, if you could get copies of any of those on slides, they could then
be digitized to PhotoCD > Photoshop > Color to Grayscale conversion > Tiff >
QuarkXPress. Not as good as EPS vector art for these, but...
  BTW, I was able to borrow an evaluation copy of Draw Tools, the AI plug-in
that allows grayscale conversions. I played with it some at work, and it
converted standard EPS files as slick as can be, maintaining a nice range of
tones. But then I installed it at home and tried it on your files. 
  It had no effect on T116.ps; the background graph remained color. Also ran
the plug-in on "wave," but when I went to re-save the file, AI still reported
that there was RGB color data present that would not work properly in EPS
format. That page prints funny in XPress. When set to print color separations
for a test, it outputs a page for the black ink, another for the blue -- fine
so far -- but then it outputs three blank pages, one each apparently for Red,
Green, Blue, the normal monitor colors. That obviously could be a problem at
the printers.
  Yes, it's too bad science/engineering files aren't yet in widespread enough
demand for print work, to make translators in demand. There's a number of WWW
and other formats that are essentially for on-screen or file transfer use,
that just aren't used for magazines and books. Oh, well.
  Got your corrections under my door. Will start work on them as soon as I
can -- midweek is my busiest. Where are we at now, in terms of deadlines?

  That's today's update...pt