Subject: timegcm1.2 proton animations

From: Ben Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:24:36 -0700

Ray,

I've made several draft animations of the timegcm1.2 protons
and no-protons cases.  So far I've put only the difference fields animations
on the ftp site http://download.hao.ucar.edu/pub/foster/timegcm1.2_protons.
You can go there with a browser and it should  bring them up as gif 
animations
like the ones I made earlier for Ganglu.

When you view with your browser, you cannot control speed, and you
cannot stop/restart, etc.  (use the "back" button to go back to the file 
list)
For access to the full-field animations as well as difference fields, 
and for
more viewing control, you can use IDL on tempest as follows:

1. get a window up on tempest
2. go to /hao/tgcm/timegcm1.2_protons
3. go to subdirs sy5jn (no-protons), sy5jp (protons), or sy5jp-jn (diffs)
4. go to any of the subdirs starting with field name in upper case
    (these subdirs contain *.png file series for the current animation)
5. give the command "animatepng" at the tempest prompt (don't put it in 
background)

The animatepng command starts IDL, and loads the .png file series into 
an IDL
animate widget window. After the files have been loaded and the 
animation starts,
you can use the widget controls to change the speed, stop/start, 
"Animation Frame"
slider, etc.  If you hit the "End Animation" button, it will throw away 
the animation
widget, and return you to the IDL> prompt. You can exit IDL with ctrl-d 
or "exit".

To have more than one animation widget up
at the same time, you can put the animatepng job in background, *after* 
it loads
the animation, with ctrl-z followed by "bg".  This should bring you back 
to the
tempest prompt while allowing the idl animation to remain active.  Then 
you can
cd to another directory and use animatepng again to bring up the next 
animation.

These are only drafts/sample animations.  The scale may not be constant 
in all
of them, so keep an eye on the color bar.  Most are sat view 
projections, but there
are a few longitude slice animations.  None of the difference field 
animations have
wind vectors, altho there are lon slices of UN and VN differences.  I 
think all the
full-field animations do have U+V vectors.  Please let me know which 
ones you
like, which ones I can throw away, and new ones to try making..

If you have trouble with the animatepng command on tempest, let me know what
the error is, and maybe I can fix it.  If we can't get animatepng to 
work for you,
I can put more gif files (e.g., the full-field animations) on the ftp 
site where you
can use the browser.

I hope your cold is better..

--Ben